Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sleep Disorders

So I finally got Tristan off of a pacifier. He hasn't had one for just about a week. This is a blessing in disguise for sure. He used to put his pacifier in when it was time for bed and that was a signal to his body to go to sleep. So, he would just curl right up and go to sleep. Nap time and bed time were very easy! Now, even though he doesn't ask for a pacifier, he has nothing to associate with bedtime and it is much more difficult to get him to fall asleep. I know that when he had the pacifier, he would wake up during the night, root around for the pacifier that fell out of his mouth, and go right back to sleep. Now, he wakes up, can't find anything to soothe him and comes to find me rather than going back to sleep. I put him down with a sippy cup of water, which he loves, and I've been trying to give him a stuffed animal or a special blanket or something. So far nothing has stuck as a soother for him.
Wade is the same way. He quit taking a pacifier about 3 months ago. I haven't been able to get him "hooked" on anything else, so he uses me! He wakes up 2-3 times during the night and wants to nurse...not really to fill his tummy, but more to soothe. He often is awake for a little while, so I take him out of his room so he doesn't wake up Tristan. I can't take him into our room, because I don't want to wake up Jason, so we end up on the couch. I usually spend at least half of the night on the couch with one of the boys. I'll get one back to sleep, lay them down, go back to my own bed, wake up a half hour later with the other one and start the process again. I'm lucky if I get a full hour of sleep straight in my own bed. These are my two little sleep disorders. Any suggestions????

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Neisha said...

yes...could you try asking tristan if there is something he'd like in place of his pacifier. if there was something he'd like to sleep with you could take him shopping and have him pick it out.
Wade...or even both of the boys. you could try giving them a shirt of some type of your clothing that smells like you and having them sleep with it.
course if tristan went down that easy for naps and night, maybe you deserve this! JUST KIDDING!! :) Kylie was a horrible napper and with Nolan I let him cry himself to sleep

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are dealing with what I am avoiding.... Both my kids have pacifiers, and I decided not to buy them any new ones any more... well, they are getting REALLY yuchy now, and all bitten through, and they still insist on having them... hmmmm Im as stumped as you are!

Mike, Amanda, Dane, and Nora said...

I feel for you, Sarah. Dane is a wonderful sleeper (no pacifier or anything), but Nora has been another story. I feel like the "human pacifier" most nights. It sounds like you share the feeling. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I haven't any great ideas, but I do like some of the info at www.askdrsears.com where there is an entire section on sleep (I think he even has a whole book on sleep.) good luck.

Melissa said...

No great suggestions for you except that it won't last forever. I promise! Megan took a nap and we had our share of difficulties when we broke her of it...Madi didn't take a nuk, and while it was harder for the first several months, we didn't have to deal with breaking her of it.

Would it work for Tristan to have him pick out a cool toy at the store and then leave it on display somewhere out of reach where he can see it, but can't have it until he's gone 'x' amount of nights like a big boy?

It won't last forever...just one of the joys of having kids close together!

Melissa said...

Heh, that should say that Megan took a *nuk*!

Burchibunch said...

I am going to side with the kids on this one:) If it means sleep for you let them have the pacifier. They wont bring it to kindergarten...If they dont walk around with it all day and its only for nap and night...Let them be and get your sleep! But thats just my opinion. Do what works for you!

the homestead girl said...

Uh oh...sounds like I'm going to be in for it! Eli faithfully takes every nap and goes to bed with this binkie...let me know when you figure out what works! :-)