Monday, February 08, 2010

Alles ist Verlassen

I tackled the shed today for my missing box. Some of you teachers out there, or former teachers, might appreciate how much stuff teachers accumulate. Packing up a classroom and moving it into a shed results in lots and lots of boxes. I went into the shed determined to find my missing clothing tub! I tackled each tower of boxes, each neatly labeled and color coded. Blue writing meant it was teaching things that I would not need at all unless I was back in the classroom. Red writing meant that it was things that I could use, maybe, someday, even without being in a classroom. Green writing meant that even though it was for teaching, I would like to be able to access it for personal use. But somewhere in this organized system is a missing 0-3 month box, so where to begin.

I unstacked the front-right tower...mostly fragile kitchen items that I don't have room for in my current kitchen (crystal, fancy serving dishes, etc.). Lo and behold, the tower behind it has an unidentified green tub at the very bottom of the pile! There it is!!! Woohoo!! Now I just have to get past the 7 boxes stacked on top of it. The first couple are pretty lightweight teaching file boxes. Then we get into the heavyweights. 2-2ft x 3ft teaching book boxes. Underneath that, 2-2ft x 4ft boxes labeled "Novels". I used to measure how many books I had in my classroom by the 6 bookcases they filled. Now I measure how many books I have by how many pounds they weigh! Those were a struggle to unload, but I finally reached the mystery green tub. I pried open the cover..... A labyrinth, marble set, Mancala game, and other various games I used in my classroom... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I would have given up and come inside and finished my quest another day, but I couldn't get out! Those big boxes were now totally trapping me inside the shed! The only way out was to stack them all so nicely and neatly back where they were. So, I began again! And lifting those big boxes onto the pile was a lot harder than letting them slide down the pile in the first place. I figured the worst thing that would happen is that it would send me into labor, which wouldn't be such a bad thing.

When I finally finished my towers, there was still no baby box. I had looked at every single box out there. So, I'm not sure what happened. We have moved since I used that box last, and I can't remember where it ended up. We only have bedroom closets and the shed, so it might be gone for good! I feel as though my search has been pretty thorough.

At least I know where to find my big class-size box of rulers, protractors, and compasses should the need for them arise.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh big fat bummer!!! Our 0-3 month baby clothes are gone, but I have some receiving blankets and burp cloths that are all yours if you want them. They're mostly blues and yellows and boy-ish but if you want them, I'd be happy to send them your way....they're looking for a new home anyway! My email is tmmrnak@sbcglobal.net

Neisha said...

bummer on the missing clothes but WAHOO on your code coded boxes!! I love organization! :)

Jason and Sue said...

You're hilarious! I feel your pain as far as rooms full of boxes. I'm dreading sorting through everything we've had packed away for this past year, but excited to use it all again! Looking forward to your little one arriving!!

Jeff, Rebekah, Chloe, and Wyatt said...

I know you sent a box when Wyatt was born, but it didn't have some of the items you are missing in it, but let me know if you need anything! I well remember the feeling you described (that was me one year ago!) about it being easier to deal with a newborn at this point then the daily task of late pregnancy! Only I got to tack on an extra week and a few more stretch marks- hope this isn't the case for you! This year has sure flown by! Here's hoping for a smooth delivery! Can't wait to see who this new little guy or gal is going to be! There is nothing like the miracle of a new life...

Auntie Cammy said...

SARF!! I just went through and read all the posts that I have missed over the last few months. It looks like you all have been up to lots of fun times! I cant believe how big Wade is! It seems like he has grown alot since i saw him last. There is no sound on these computers so i will have to hear him sing and play later. The boys are just too cute!! I cant wait to come out and see you all and meet the new Sanderson! Great job on Tristans birthday cake! You are such a super mommy and sister! See you soon! Love you!