Friday, October 29, 2010

Costume Fun

My little clown!

Owen (clown), Kayden (Tinkerbell), Wade (Originally dressed as the dinosaur, but put on a Snow White dress for the picture), Beren (Batman), and Tristan (Originally dressed as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but grabbed the dinosaur costume that Wade abandoned.)

Rachel is the tiger and I am the nice witch.  :)
This was the extent of the boys Halloween activities.  We made candy lollipops last night to bring to the daycare, so they do get a little Halloween treat.  Every year I debate in my mind what to do about Halloween.  Our town has trick-or-treating downtown where all the shops open their doors and the whole town descends to get candy.  So far, my boys are young enough that they don't know what they are missing.  In some ways I see it as a harmless way to get dressed up and get candy, but then I think about what the holiday is celebrating and I don't want them to be involved.  Another one of those parenting lines that I need to figure out where to draw!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

We don't "do" Halloween, for the very reason you referred to...what it really means. It's nice that someone else thinks about the root of it too, and not just the "candy candy!!!" part.

Mochas, Mountains and Moby Wraps said...

Well, I obviously check the wrong blogs! Way to go with your updates and my, what adorable boys you have!!!! We opted to do the story time dress up party only - that yielded 3 pieces of candy and as much hassle as those caused, I decided we would not aim to get any more! Throughout my growing up years, we always had a super duper fun costume party - adults included - so I have fond memories of Halloween but I haven't figured out what our strategy will be yet ... Thanks for being a contientious parent - good luck finding your "answer".

Tawn said...

wade wears his dress with such confidence; he will want you to die a slow and painful dreath for that picture in about 12 years, but i think it's great. and your little clown is adorable, it makes me want a little guy running around admidst the pink that happens here.

fwiw, i'll throw my two cents in that i think the general consensus here is trick or treating a fun americanized tradition that has about as little to do with the real meaning of halloween/all saints day as a bunny has to do with easter. (or most of the trappings of the rest of the holidays have to do with their original intentions.) but what to do is always the question.