Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Sick Baby

Today I did something that I've never done before.  I took one of my boys to the doctor because he was sick.  I jinxed myself when I was bragging about how I've never had to take one of my kids to the doctor except for well-child checks and immunizations.  Well, today I did.  Yesterday Wade started coughing...no big deal, just a little cold.  That night he had a little fever....again, not a big deal.  During the night he started breathing very rapidly.  I've never had to deal with that and it was a little scary.  He was coughing and breathing very quickly, about a breath a second.  His fever wasn't bad, maybe about 100.  By morning I decided I needed to take him in, because he wasn't responding to cold medicine and his breathing was still rapid.  I know the receptionists at the clinic pretty well and they were very surprised to see me.  I don't really consider myself to be an overly paranoid mom, so they knew something was wrong when they saw me.  I was told that there wouldn't be anyone available to see me for about an hour and a half, but when my doctor heard I was there he moved things around and got me in right away.  They ended up giving him a nebulizer treatment and then sent me home with my own nebulizer to give him every 4 hours.  I'm hoping it's just the result of this cough, but it escalated pretty quickly, so I'm really hoping that it's not something worse like asthma.  He's been sleeping and wanting me to hold him all day so far.  Poor little baby!

5 comments:

Sam & Julie said...

My poor little Wade! This is a rare type of photo for him. Hope it is just a passing bug.

Jason and Sue said...

Poor Wade! Breathing issues are always scary! Hope the neb treatments are working! give him an extra hug for us! See you guys pretty soon! Time is flying...we'll be in wenatchee in 3 weeks!

Jessica said...

O I know what you mean! Both my kids had to have the nebulizer treatment!! It is scarey!! Hope he gets better soon. *hugs*

Melissa said...

Aww, poor little fella. And poor momma, too! Good luck with the nebulizer treatments...those are NO fun at ALL. For mom or kiddo. They do work, tho!

Jacinda said...

Oh poor guy! It is no fun to have sick kids especially if your not sure what your dealing with. Hope he gets better soon. For your sake too!!