Monday, March 16, 2009

Potty Training

Sorry for the lack of updates...I'm actually a couple of weeks behind on my posting, but we are house-sitting and I don't have access to my computer with my pictures. I read an article in the newspaper on Friday about potty-training. It was recommended that you just explain to your child that there will be no more diapers and they are expected to just use the bathroom. There will be a lot of laundry the first few days, but then they're trained. So, I'm trying it with Tristan. Today is day 1 and we are on outfit #5. I'm running the daycare all week, so I figured it was a good time to try, because I won't be going anywhere anyway. If he doesn't seem to improve or be interested after this week I may give up for awhile. I'd like to know if some of you have done that Potty-Training in a Day thing and if that has worked. How does that work? Tips and advice (and laundry help) would be appreciated. :)

3 comments:

The Chairman's Wife said...

The best advice I got for training a boy was to have him wear a long t-shirt and nothing underneath. Not sure how you feel about it. But it 'scares' them. They know it'll just come out all over. Worked for me with our guy 8 years ago. Two days and we were done! You just have to stay home to get through it. And run to the potty all the time!

Mike, Amanda, Dane, and Nora said...

We had the best luck with the "no pants" idea as mentioned above. When we were home by ourselves, we would have Dane wear nothing but a shirt, and he never had an accident. The problem was, we couldn't stay home all the time! At least it started making him aware of when he needed to go. It works best if you have a little potty Tristan can run and sit on all by himself. Good luck!

Jeff, Rebekah, Chloe, and Wyatt said...

Hi Sarah- When Chloe was 2 1/2 she told me she wanted to wear big girl underwear, it was summertime (same as Tristan's 1/2 B-day) so I put her in underwear, put tons of toys and stuff to do out on the deck and her little potty and her table and chairs to eat at and we just stayed outside for a few days (I couldn't bear to have my brand new carpet peed on and I knew it would be hard to not get angry at her if that happened) so staying outside allowed me to remain calm as she had six accidents the first day and then progressively less each day. She still wears a pull-up at night, but it is hardly ever wet, so I just keep re-using them.