Thursday, July 22, 2010

Diagnosis?

Owen started burning up during the night Sunday night.  He ran a fever all day and into Tuesday.  Tuesday morning I noticed a rash up and down his legs.  I thought it was heat rash from the hot temperatures and his fever.  Tuesday evening he quit nursing.  He would root around like he was hungry, but as soon as I went to latch him on he would scream and turn his head. I was trying to think of something that I had eaten that would have made my milk bad, but was coming up with nothing.  He didn't nurse all night long, would sleep for about 20 mins and wake up crying.  I was still giving him tylenol/ibruprofen alternating.  By morning I decided maybe he was getting a tooth and oragelled him up really well.  After a few minutes the oragel worked and he nursed!  A lot!  So, I started thinking he must have a tooth about ready to pop through.  But then I noticed new little blisters and sores all over his fingers and toes.  His rash over his legs had gotten worse too.  I looked in his mouth, but didn't notice anything abnormal.  Now I'm thinking he has hand, foot, mouth.  It is a virus that often includes a fever, sores on the hands and feet, and in the mouth, which would explain why he didn't want to nurse.  If it is hand, foot, mouth, there is nothing I can do about it, so I am keeping his gums numb when it is time to nurse.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

5 comments:

Amber said...

You are probably right...our kids had that recently. If you can get his mouth open, you'll probably see little sores in the back of his throat that look like canker sores. It's a total bummer thing to have, so I hope he doesn't...

Anonymous said...

could it be roseola? poor baby, and mom! hope he's feeling better soon.

Melissa said...

Oh no...poor little baby. Hope he's feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

The pediatrician gave my daughter a prescription for "Magic Mouthwash". Basically you give it like 20 min before they eat and it has a little numbing agent to decrease mouth/throat pain so they can tolerate eating and stay hydrated. She never ended up needing it because she started eating pretty well in a couple days and managed to stay hydrated in the meantime.

GIEJ Long said...

Sorry for your problems, I hope he is doing fine now. What was it, have you figured out?
About what you asked me: the book I printed a book at Blog2print and I am very happy with the quality. The dissadvantage is that as you make the book, you can't change the arrangement on the page. The blog automaticly fills the pages, and sometimes you find the title of a post on the bottom of the page and the rest of the post on the next page, which for me isn't nice... Other than this, I was happy with it. You even have the possibility to print the comments (which I did). I wish this was helpful.
Do you go to Miltown by any chance?